Activists Protest Delays in Mombasa-Kwa Kadzengo Road Project
Vocal Africa CEO Khalid Hussein addressing the Media. (Photo By Mbungu Harrison)
By Mbungu Harrison
Email, thecoastnewspaper@gmail.com
Human rights activists on Monday, May 18, 2026 staged protests over delays in the construction of the Mombasa-Kwa Kadzengo road that was disrupting transport operations in the counties of Mombasa and Kilifi.
Led by activists, matatu operators and residents of two counties, the demonstrators paralysed transport along the busy Mombasa-Mtwapa highway.
They blocked sections of the road demanding speedy completion of the stalled project and a reduction of fuel prices, especially the diesel product that was selling at Ksh239 and Ksh242 in Mombasa and Nairobi respectively.
At Bamburi area, police engaged protesters who had blocked the road resulting into the arrest of at least three people suspected to have taken part in the demonstrations.
The protests also disrupted movement between Mombasa and Kilifi after demonstrators blocked the bridge linking the two counties leaving commuters stranded for hours.
Travellers heading to hospitals, workplaces and the airport were forced to wait by the roadside as transport operations grounded to a halt leaving most them frustrated and angry.
Human rights activists accused the government of failing to address the high cost of living, saying the recent increase in fuel prices had worsened the burden on ordinary Kenyans.
Speaking during the protests, Vocal Africa executive director Hussein Khalid asked the government to lower fuel prices and speed up completion of the road project.

“Why are there always excuses? We are asking the government to finish this road completely. We are also telling the government to reduce fuel prices. If they don’t, we will continue with Black Monday demonstrations every week,” he said.
Khelef Khalifa of Muhuri criticised the slow pace of the road construction terming it as a security and economic concern for Coast residents.
“The region is being victimised through the slow pace of the road construction. The road has become a security issue and should be completed quickly,” he said.
Mtwapa OCPD Achale Hassan said security officers had been deployed to maintain order and prevent any destruction of property within Mtwapa town and its emvirons.
Matatu operators who joined the protests said rising fuel prices had made it difficult to sustain their businesses, forcing them to increase fares beyond what many passengers could afford.
The protests came barely a week after the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) said Ksh4.3 billion had been released to the National Land Commission (NLC) for compensation of persons affected by the Kengeleni-Kwa Kadzengo road project.
KeNHA deputy director and road project coordinator Engineer Cleophas Makau attributed the delays to the relocation process of people affected by the multi-billion-shilling project.
Speaking during an inspection tour at the Mtwapa Bridge, the engineer said construction of the dual carriageway was now 75 per cent complete and was expected to be fully completed by August 2027.

Mtwapa Bridge resident engineer Berk Pamuk said the old Mtwapa Bridge would not be demolished after completion of the new one next year.
“This old bridge will be used as a service road to Mtwapa market. It will not be demolished,” he said.
