August 22, 2026

Kwale ODM Supporters Defect to Linda Mwananchi Ahead of 2027

0
IMG-20260821-WA0320

Some of the fectors. (Photo/ Courtesy)

By Caroline Katana

Email, thecoastnewspaper@gmail.com

A section of ODM supporters in Kwale County have ditched the party to join the Linda Mwananchi Movement and throw their weight behind Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna ahead of the 2027 general election.

The disgruntled group made the announcement on Thursday, August 20, 2026 at Ukunda Showground while condemning the attack on Linda Mwananchi brigades while on their way for political rallies in Homa Bay County on Sunday, August 16.

The incident, according to them, demonstrated the need for greater political tolerance as parties and movements begin mobilising ahead of the elections.

Bijuma N’kale, popularly known as Najma Wangu, a former nominated Kwale MCA and Linda Mwananchi coordinator in the county, said she was among those attacked during the rally.

Najma, who is seeking the Kwale Women Representative seat on a Linda Mwananchi ticket, said the trouble started after the vehicle she was travelling in overturned at Total area in Homa Bay Town.

She said a group of more than 50 people descended on them, assaulting, and robbing them of their belongings.

Najma said she was hit on the waist, head, and her left leg had difficulties in movement.

The aspirant recounted how one of the attackers later intervened when another man allegedly attempted to attack her with a machete.

According to her the man hid her in a toilet, helped her receive first aid, and later assisted her to be rushed to hospital by an ambulance.

She said the experience had strengthened rather than weakened her resolve to participate in politics.

Najma also invoked the legacy of late ODM leader Raila Odinga saying his politics had taught supporters to pursue change through peaceful means.

“I would like to tell all leaders who were brought up by Raila Amolo Odinga that Raila did not teach us war. Raila taught us peace and reconciliation when faced with challenges,” she said.

She said the group would return to Homa Bay despite the incident insisting that political opponents should be allowed to campaign freely.

“We are not afraid. Even if she decides to kill, she cannot kill all of us,” Najma said, referring to Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga whom she accused of being behind the attack.

The allegations against Wanga were also echoed by Linda Mwananchi member Ginnora Kinyasi who condemned what she described as violence against political opponents.

Kinyasi said women should not be forced to choose between political participation and their safety accusing Wanga of undermining the position of women in leadership.

“This is a new era. We are moving forward. The era of patronage has passed,” she said.

From the Homa Bay incident, the meeting turned into a declaration of a new political direction in Kwale.

Mambo Kwa Wakati, who now identifies himself as Potelea Mbali, said he had been an ODM chairman in Msambweni Constituency, but had decided to leave the party and support Linda Mwananchi.

He said the decision was driven by his belief that Kwale and the whole nation needed a different political direction, and leadership that would listen to residents and account for public resources.

Mambo said the movement was bringing together people from different political parties who shared the same objective of changing what he described as poor leadership.

He was particularly critical of attempts by some political leaders to portray Kwale as a UDA stronghold which was not in case based on previous elections’ outcomes.

Citing 124,701 votes garnered by Raila in Kwale, he argued that the county had historically been an ODM ‘bedroom’ post-2010 Constitution of Kenya.

“Kwale was an ODM zone, and I reject those leaders trying to redefine the county’s political identity and narratives to message personal interests.”

He dismissed the broad-based political arrangement saying it was inconsequential in the county and those supporting Linda Mwananchi were not interested in such baseless alliances.

In his view, the BBG was only benefiting the political class at the expense of the Kwale ordinary people at the grassroots.

He questioned the progress of several county projects, including a fruit-processing plant which he claimed had taken years to complete despite significant public expenditure.

The ex-party chair also questioned the cost and progress of the governor’s office demanding greater accountability over the use of region’s resources.

“We have seen that there is no good leadership. We are going to Linda Mwananchi.”

He said the movement was not about distributing political positions, but creating a platform through which residents could discuss and pursue a new political direction for Kwale and the entire country .

He declared support for Sifuna and called on residents from different political backgrounds who share their concerns to join the movement.

“We have to liberate Kwale as well as the entire country come 2027,” he said.

The group said its political realignment was only the beginning of a wider mobilisation ahead of 2027 urging residents to overcome what Mambo described as fear and participate actively in deciding the county’s next political leadership.

The Thursday meeting served a dual purpose: condemning the alleged violence during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay and publicly breaking away from ODM to Linda Mwananchi and Sifuna for next year’s polls.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *