Civil Society Moves to Court Over Withdrawal of Governor Orengo’s Security
(Milimani Law Courts) Photo/ Courtesy)
By Mbungu Harrison
Email, thecoastnewspaper@gmail.com
The Centre for Litigation Trust has moved to the High Court seeking orders compelling the government to immediately reinstate security officers attached to Siaya Governor James Orengo terming the withdrawal unlawful, discriminatory, and politically motivated.
The lobby group filed a constitutional petition at the Milimani Law Courts against the Inspector General of Police, the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration, and the Attorney General.
The petition comes days after Mr Orengo wrote a strongly-worded protest letter to Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja over the alleged abrupt withdrawal of his personal and residential security detail.
In his May 20, 2026 letter, the governor said his entire personal security team and officers guarding his Nairobi residence were withdrawn on Tuesday evening without prior notice, formal communication or suitable replacements.
“Yesterday evening (May 19, 2026), a highly irregular and deeply concerning action was taken by the national security apparatus. The sudden, unprovoked withdrawal of my entire personal security detail as well as the security personnel assigned to my Nairobi residence,” he said.
The governor described the move as arbitrary and unprocedural, saying no explanation had been given and no alternative security arrangements made.

“As a State Officer under the Constitution of Kenya, the provision of security is not a privilege or a discretionary favour; it is a statutory entitlement designed to facilitate the execution of official mandates without fear of compromise or harm.”
In court papers, the Centre for Litigation Trust argues that the withdrawal violated constitutional provisions on fair administrative action, good governance and equality before the law.
According to the petition all other county governors continue to enjoy state-provided security making the treatment of Mr Orengo discriminatory and irregular.
The petitioner says that the withdrawal exposed the governor to unnecessary security risks considering the nature of his constitutional responsibilities and public engagements.
The organisation links the removal of security personnel to Orengo’s recent political remarks and his criticism of the broad-based arrangement between the government and sections of the opposition.
“The withdrawal of the security personnel appears to be a retaliatory and intimidatory act designed to pressure the Interested Party into aligning his political position with those of the national executive,” the petition states.

The lobby group is seeking conservatory orders restoring the governor’s full security detail pending the hearing and determination of the petition.
The case was filed through Masake & Associates Advocates and is supported by an affidavit sworn by Julius Ogogoh.
